TUSClan.com Message Board

TUSClan.com Message Board (http://newboards.tusclan.com/index.php)
-   Exercise and Fitness (http://newboards.tusclan.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Triathlon (ROAD BIKES ARG!!!) (http://newboards.tusclan.com/showthread.php?t=58842)

FMAN DTF 02-15-2008 08:16 PM

Triathlon (ROAD BIKES ARG!!!)

well, i am finally going to start training for my first triathlon which will be on April 12th...i am looking at buying a road bike from craig's list and have been to 3 local bike stores...

entry level new bikes are about 700-1000 bux which sux, i am thinkin about buying a shitty used bike on craig's list (around 300) just to have something to train on and be familiar w/ before i do the race just in case i decide biking or triath is not for me...if it is then i will either sell the bike or keep it as a second for someone else to ride on

it just sux road bikes are so damn expensive and all the bs involved w/ them for someone w/ no experience

i signed up for a "Masters" swim class at an olympic sized pool (50M) and will be swimming MWF from 6am-7am for at least a month and then i might just drop the class since i already am a strong swimmer and just focus on the bike and run

:ninja:

I know they make triathlon bikes but i only plan on doing "sprint" tri's : you swim .5mile, bike 10-20miles, and run 4 so i figure using a road bike should be fine since i wont be riding it for very long and the aero bars would just be a waste...oh well...here goes nothing, i'll let you know how i do come april 12th

macintosh 02-18-2008 12:55 PM

Re: Triathlon (ROAD BIKES ARG!!!)

A buddy of mine just recently got sponsored for triathlons. He's now a "pro" athlete. He has nationals coming up in a couple weeks. I'll ask him what he recommends.

macintosh 02-18-2008 04:24 PM

What my buddy said is this(mind you I have no idea what he's talking about):

Any bike made out of aluminum will be good and probably under $1,000(he means new).

Some name brands he mention were Trek, Cannondale, and Specialized(not sure if its a brand or just a specialized bike).

He said the bike he uses is a Quintana Roo, but says they run expensive. He got the cheapest one and it was over $1,000.

Hope that helps.

FMAN DTF 02-18-2008 06:13 PM

werd, there are 4 bikes for Trek and Specialized im considering that are 700-1000 (2 are $700 2 are $1,000)

the main difference is the 105 shifter vs the Sora

The trek is the 1.2T ($700) and 1.5T (925) both aluminum frames w/ carbon forks...only better components on the 1.5 but main diff is the 105 components

The specialized allez ($760) and the allez elite ($1099) same deal im guessing

I found a new Motobecane ( know they arent made in france anymo) on ebay there is one for $200 shipped so i might just get that sell it to my roommate if i decide i need to spend more money, because im guessing the $200 is worth it for the 105 shifter

also there is a local guy on craig's list that sells bikes but he just sold a Peugoet the day i emailed him...ARG

i have learned a bit about the bikes, im gonna wait for about a month and then we'll see what i get...fucking presidents day today, i go to the pool to swim at 5:30am and it's fucking closed...so i just ended up hitting the gym and eatin breakfast before i got to work at 7 =( man was i pissed, forgot it was a holiday since i had to work

SnowFart 02-18-2008 06:44 PM

I have an old Huffy 12 speed you can have if you want to come get it ;)

FMAN DTF 02-19-2008 07:27 PM

ha, thx SF...i'll finally get to meet the fam!

weeeeeeeeeeee

FMAN DTF 02-26-2008 07:16 PM

[media]http://www.trekbikes.com/images/bikes/2008/large/12_white.jpg[/media]
I bit the bullet and bought this bad boy (trek 1.2), $777 after tax, couldnt find shit on Craig's List so i figured i'd support the local bike shop

gonna be delivered in 10 days @_@

FMAN DTF 04-16-2008 07:30 PM

so i fell off clipping in this bitch about 4 times have, put about 220miles on it, rode 30 miles today since i got off work early.

I completed my first tri, it was pathetic since i should have trained.

.5 mile swim 16 minutes
.5 mile transition run to bike 6 minutes (change into bike shoes,etc.)
10 mile bike 33 minutes (fell mounting)
bike run transition 3 minutes
3.5 mile run 33 minutes (both calves cramped instantly)

total time 1hr 32minutes and like 3 seconds

what i learned, train for next tri, i wanted to do a 1hr 15min race...but since i was new i was 2x longer in the transition than most people

lessons:
open salt water (gulf) swim is alot different than pool swim (swallowed fucking water and ended up loafing backstroke and breastroke, was still the best place i had out of all the events)

Bike...dont fall down, and have tri shoes alrdy attached to bike, get tri bars so i can be more aerodynamic and be able to rehydrate so i dont cramp goin to the run, push a heavy gear, and before i get to the end of the bike drop to a low gear and spin so my legs dont cramp up

run sucked since i cramped up, never had BOTH calves cramp at the same time...only got my wind at about the 3rd mile and i sprinted to the finish (shouldnt have passed the water stop at the transition...the next one was 2 miles away and i drank about 3 cups of water there...helped out alot

oh well, mistakes of a tri noob...i did accomplish my goal of beating a co-worker...he didnt finish because he pulled a leg muscle so he only got to do the swim and bike.

cheers!

macintosh 04-16-2008 08:38 PM

Keep at it man. My buddy is going for All-American this Saturday in Alabama, I think. He's a freshmen at OSU.

JOEBOOWORK 04-18-2008 09:16 AM

Still a heck of an accomplishment man, tighten up your training regiment and keep focused on your goals. It sounds like you've got a pretty good idea of what you need to do, and now there is nothing left but the doing.