TUSClan.com Message Board

TUSClan.com Message Board (http://newboards.tusclan.com/index.php)
-   College/General Education (http://newboards.tusclan.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What Major? (http://newboards.tusclan.com/showthread.php?t=11260)

PapaVodka 10-17-2003 12:28 PM

i was thinking of several majors, and all of them are very different from each other....
im thinking bout going into physics, cause that interests me like crazy, business, cause it makes a ton of money, but then again, every other college student is a business major, cullinary, cause my mom has her own dessert business, and if it does well, i might take over, or pyschology, cause thats also interesting.....WHICH OnE WOULD U PICK!?

jetnet 10-17-2003 02:18 PM

Why just pick one? If your going to take over your moms business, ir would be wise to do both cullinary and business, that way you know how to run a business. Trust me, im in that situation right now. If you decide to do physics, why not do that AND pyschology, that way you can not only be a master of all those physical, but MENTAL?!?!?! jk, take your basics, and wait for the answer to come to you.

Conqueror 10-17-2003 03:28 PM

Do whatever really interests you/you're good at. You can always change your major and consider doing a double major. I'd take an intro to physics course and see how you like it, because I have a friend who is a Chem major/probably going to add physics to that and I don't see him having much free time in the next four years.
Take an introducation to business course, accounting, all that stuff just so you know how to operate the business.

SonOfGonad 10-17-2003 03:36 PM

Enroll into the College of Arts and Sciences at your particular university and take courses you have particular interests in. You'll be able to explore the variety of available subjects and, if like most colleges, you can declare your major by the end of sophomore year. Do what interests you the most... Don't worry about money, you can develop independent wealth without a six-digit job.

Greedo LFD 10-17-2003 05:55 PM

Physics... Engineering.. ANY science. If that interests you, you should go for it. The US is severely lacking in these areas.

If you want to learn business, get your MBA later on. Business is mostly common sense and a bachelor's in business prepares you to become.... someone who knows how business works, but not about anything a business really does. I was halfway to my business degree before I realized how useless it would be and I switched.

It's easier to become business savvy outside a classroom than it is to become a physicist or engineer.

TYRANT 10-17-2003 06:52 PM

I'm taking psychology? you can be a psychiatrist??? :garyspivey:

SoD Ass Woopa 10-17-2003 07:50 PM

IF i were you Id go into a COnstruction Major ..... I wish i d ahve thought of that before i started my major but in COnstruction there will always be a need for construction ....

Holiman 10-18-2003 01:05 AM

If you want a 100% sure thing, go business with an emphasis in accounting. Just got back from recruiting for my firm at my old school and there were a TON of other firms there grabbing students left and right. When I attended the same fair as a student, there were 3.

With the new Sarbanes Oxley legislation companies are hiring accounting firms to do more than audit their books. They engage us to find fraud and test their internal controls for weaknesses. After Andersen went down, there was a free for all for all their old clients and the remaining firms, for the most part, now have too much work and too little staff.

Around here (SF Bay Area) paid internships between your junior and senior year start at $25 an hour. New hires start at 50K a year. Not too shabby since you only need a BA!

Spend two years with a top firm (Pricewaterhouse, Deloitte, KPMG, Ernst and Young, Grant Thornton) and doors open left and right for you. If you want to go back to grad school (MBA or Law) it looks great on an application. If you want to slow down and work a 9-5 in the private sector in finance its also an asset to be a former auditor. Check the resumes of top Chief Financial Officers and you will often find prior experience with public accounting firms. If you are really ambitious you can try to stick around the firm long enough to become partner and your take home increases dramatically as profits are distributed to partners on top of their base salary.

Greedo LFD 10-18-2003 01:56 AM

The lad should do what he's interested in, not what will make him more money.

When a guy says he's "interested like crazy" in Physics, my advice is go with that. Physics is a fascinating field, and working with some of these dudes that build the stuff that we use to blow shit up efficiently, I envy their physics background because they do stuff that'll make your eyes bleed it's so cool. And there aren't enough of those guys.

If you can do what interests you and what you like, DO IT.

SonOfGonad 10-18-2003 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Holiman@Oct 18 2003, 05:05 AM
If you want a 100% sure thing, go business with an emphasis in accounting. Just got back from recruiting for my firm at my old school and there were a TON of other firms there grabbing students left and right. When I attended the same fair as a student, there were 3.

With the new Sarbanes Oxley legislation companies are hiring accounting firms to do more than audit their books. They engage us to find fraud and test their internal controls for weaknesses. After Andersen went down, there was a free for all for all their old clients and the remaining firms, for the most part, now have too much work and too little staff.

Around here (SF Bay Area) paid internships between your junior and senior year start at $25 an hour. New hires start at 50K a year. Not too shabby since you only need a BA!

Spend two years with a top firm (Pricewaterhouse, Deloitte, KPMG, Ernst and Young, Grant Thornton) and doors open left and right for you. If you want to go back to grad school (MBA or Law) it looks great on an application. If you want to slow down and work a 9-5 in the private sector in finance its also an asset to be a former auditor. Check the resumes of top Chief Financial Officers and you will often find prior experience with public accounting firms. If you are really ambitious you can try to stick around the firm long enough to become partner and your take home increases dramatically as profits are distributed to partners on top of their base salary.

How can you do accounting, Holi? Is the business that intriguing? I know I've only scratched the surface, but I only see accountants counting crap day in and day out. Also, I've heard the horror stories from graduates in accounting... They had to count carcasses in a morgue for inventory!!! So, like what do you accountants do...?