TUSClan.com Message Board  
Go Back   TUSClan.com Message Board > Off the Wall Topics > Hobbies > Its all about the Cars
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2006, 05:48 PM   #11
Greedo LFD

Re: 2007 Jeep Wrangler

Those Titans are nice! Never thought a Japanese maker would come out with a legit full-size until I saw those.

Greedo LFD is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 09-19-2006, 07:13 PM   #12
Felldoh

Have a 91 wrangler hard top.. awesome has been with me for last 12 13 yrs. working grera. . want to check out the new four door jeeps. But dont know if they will be as good on trial as they are even longer than the unlimiteds. But I think i wouldlwait until nxt yr when they are suposed to bring the diesel to the U.S. to use on the wrangler.... ISreal has had tj with diesel since 97 and supposedly you can get libertys in brazil and sth america with diesel already.
Felldoh is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 09-19-2006, 08:47 PM   #13
Greedo LFD

You can get Jeeps w/ CRD pretty much everywhere but the US and Canada.
The JK won't be as good on rocks or whatever... the limitation will be the breakover angle due to longer wheelbase, but approach and departure are the same. Stock, it looks like the most capable 4-door hands down... maybe the D90/110 would give it a run for its money.

Greedo LFD is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 12-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #14
matableafex

Send a message via ICQ to matableafex
2007 Jeep Wrangler

I was thinking of doing a V8 swap into my 1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara right now its in stock trim. It has a 4.0L I6 with a 108,xxx miles backed by a T999 3-speed Automatic and NP231 Transfer case. Dana 30 up front and Dana 35 out back. I know most would say just dont do it or put a Hemi in it or something but Ive been doing some research and to put a Hemi in my Jeep and make it street legal I would basically have to upgrade the whole thing to 03 or newer parts. The other thing is that the 5.9L was offered in the Grand Cherokee that year and when you swap an engine and what it to run anywhere in the US and pass inspection you have to do a transplant from a car/truck from that model year or newer and it had to been offered in that class of vehicle. So here my list of parts so far of what I think would need add anything that might help or make it better. Im not worried about cost yet because I wasnt planing on doing it right away its just in the idea stage.

What I would need to Swap in a 5.9L Magnum in a 1998 Jeep Wrangler:
•5.9L Dodge/ Jeep Motor Complete with wiring and accessories
•46RE Automatic Transmission
•NP231 or NP241OR
•Not sure if I would need custom Drive shafts front and rear
•4.0L to V8 Magnum wiring kit from Hotwire Auto
•Custom Fuel Lines
•Custom A/C lines not sure if I would need a new condenser
•Heavy Duty Radiator for a V8 Swap
•Custom Motor Mounts
•Custom Exhaust with O2 Sensors, Catalytic Converter and Mufflers
•I would upgrade to Dana 44 front and rear with 4.10 Gearing and ARB Lockers
•An ARB compressor for the Lockers

Optional Equipment
•5.9L Engine Dress Up Kit
•03 and up Shifter Plate
•03 and up Radio Bezel with Switch Plate and O/D Switch
•16x8 Alcoa Aluminum Rims
•A Set of BFG Mud-Terrain T/A KM2
•Mopar Rock Front Bumper
•10,000Lbs Warn Winch
•Expedition Sport Rack with Lights and Axe/ Shove Mounts
•4” Long Arm lift Kit
matableafex is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 12-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #15
kc5deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by matableafex View Post
I was thinking of doing a V8 swap into my 1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara right now
I've seen plenty of V8's in wranglers, and to be absolutely honest with ya, I haven't yet really figured out why.

Don't get me wrong, they look cool, and sound insane, especially coming from a wrangler.

But, for any real world scenario, a V8 is actually going to hamper you if you're going to be doing much of the things a Jeep was designed to do.

For trails, and especially rock crawling, slow and steady wins the race. For much of what a Jeep was designed to do and to be, low end grunt is the key. V8's are not very torquey on the bottom end, unless you cam them to be. But, if you cam for low torque, you have gobs of it, and loose your top end. More torque than needed when putting your Jeep in a bind either on the trail or on a rocks is nearly certain to snap drive lines, thrash the pinion gears, break a t-case chain, etc.

Jeeps are not keen for high speed. Too top heavy, and if you're running at +90mph, you're just asking for a great opportunity to loose control quickly.

Another problem with the V8's, is mileage. If you manage not to break anything along a trail, you're gonna go through much more gas than the I6, meaning you're either going to have to carry more with you, or you're gonna have a lot less distances to run. A good friend of mine here goes trail riding all the time in old YJ, and he's always telling me stories about how the V8's are passing them at the start of the trail, but, he always passes them as they're refueling, or fixing something.

When I lived in Albuquerque, I got into Jeeps in a mad way. I only had a 98 TJ with minor mods, but, I studied the piss out of them on a daily basis. I befriended a guy who happened to own a custom off-road shop there, and his specialty was Jeeps. He'd occasionally work on a land cruiser, bronco, jimmy, etc. But, his bread-butter and expertise was in Jeeps. I noticed that the majority of his repair work was on jeeps with V8's, and it was all because they unloaded unneeded power through the drivetrain when it was in a bind.

As a matter of fact, the most capable and road legal jeep I ever saw came out of that shop. It was a 1998 TJ, dana 44's front/rear, ARB air lockers, NV4500 transmission, Atlas II transfer case, terra-flex lift, warn winch that could be moved to the front or back bumper, and he had only added an air intake kit and bored throttle body to the motor. That jeep would go anywhere that a jeep with a V8 would, and I never saw it in the shop for repairs. It was basically a souped-up Rubicon, before the Rubicons were ever available.

What it boils down to, is that too much can be a hindrance. If you want to put a V8 in, I'd say go ahead, but, just be prepared to break way more stuff.

oh, and take pics!

Eggs & Bacon. A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
kc5deb is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook