TUSClan.com Message Board  
Go Back   TUSClan.com Message Board > Off the Wall Topics > Photography Phorum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2009, 07:41 PM   #11
Nix

Thanked 1,156 Times in 489 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Nix Send a message via AIM to Nix Send a message via MSN to Nix
Re: Camera Recommendation

More like my contract expired and they couldn't resign this free agent!
Old 03-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #12
Dobick

Re: Camera Recommendation

I would say canon or Nikon, although from what I hear, all of the old Konica/Minolta lenses will work on the sony bodies. Further, sony has some incredible glass available, but like all things sony, you will pay a premium for it.

Canon or Nikon, six one half the other, but my rec would be canon. If you look at a printed image at 8x10 from any camera on the market today, you will not be able be able to tell who the manufacturer was, so image quality is a moot point IMO. Accessories as well as cost of lenses, are the two determining factors, as well as how well you can learn to operate the basic controls. Go to a store and get them to let you try a few bodies in the store, and see which one feels better, more steady when you try to turn the dials while looking through the viewfinder... The last thing you want is a camera that is not steady in your hands when you are making adjustments. Find a camera that you can grow into, but don't worry too much about the features early on, the body will be obsolete in three years and you will be looking to upgrade. Buy the best glass that you can afford, but don't get too hung up on the numbers... megapixels don't make pictures better, they just take up more space on the hard drive.

As far as a recommendation, if you can find a used 40D, 30D or 20D from canon for a good price, jump all over it... They are good cameras that have been built well. They are going for anywhere from 600 to 250 nowdays. Use the kit lens until you know what you want next. and save your money and don't spend it on the value zooms. You will outgrow them quickly, and loose more than half your money when you try to resell them on ebay

Good luck and PM me if you want more specific advice

My Photo Gallery
Dobick is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Dobick For This Useful Post:
Holiman (03-05-2009)