TUSClan.com Message Board  
Go Back   TUSClan.com Message Board > Off the Wall Topics > Hobbies > Exercise and Fitness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2006, 05:52 PM   #11
PaintballerZell

Send a message via AIM to PaintballerZell Send a message via MSN to PaintballerZell
Re: Its Workout Time Again

its a common mis-conception that the navy feeds you 3 square a day. In fact, my diet has never been worse in my life. I've lost a lot of mass and i get next to nil of protien unless i wanna go out and buy a lot of food.

PaintballerZell is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 08-15-2006, 05:37 PM   #12
Apexi

I wouldn't trust those trainers then. A high protein diet like that can cause an array of health problems. Damage to the kidneys for one. Also elevated homocysteine levels, which can cause heart disease, hypertension, and many many others. I'd just look around and get more opinions on the topic, many doctors in sports medicine agree that you don't need to get as much protein as many think.
Apexi is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 08-15-2006, 09:57 PM   #13
SonOfGonad

Send a message via AIM to SonOfGonad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexi View Post
I wouldn't trust those trainers then. A high protein diet like that can cause an array of health problems. Damage to the kidneys for one. Also elevated homocysteine levels, which can cause heart disease, hypertension, and many many others. I'd just look around and get more opinions on the topic, many doctors in sports medicine agree that you don't need to get as much protein as many think.
Old wife's tale--there are no known issues with high protein consumption, except in patients with pre-existing kidney issues.

Diet is where most people fail at--they have great intensity but don't train as hard at the dinner table as they do in the gym. That's why most people fail at gaining weight.

Eating 2 grams of protein almost always ensures continuous growth. Some can do with 1.5 grams, and fewer can go with 1 gram of protein. Start low and move up if you have a hard time eating so much food. If you find you're not getting stronger and bigger, then start packing in more protein.

Doctors are definitely not the source to get the best opinions about nutrition for a healthy young man interested in increasing his muscle mass. Look to the people with experience, not the doctor who barely works out himself.

Best,
Dave

Shop TrueProtein.com for high quality protein supplementation at rock bottom prices!

Use my discount code DDD225 to get 5% off of your order!
SonOfGonad is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 08-16-2006, 02:51 PM   #14
Apexi

Well... I completely disagree with everything you've just said.. So as the saying goes.. i'm gonna agree to disagree. I don't feel like gettin into a big ole discussion about the topic.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:24 AM   #15
SonOfGonad

Do you have any proof? Most have little real world experience, much less scientific research, to back up any claim that high protein is detrimental to health. I have yet to see any negative side affects with high protein--I myself ate around 350-400 grams of protein per day for about a year and my kidneys are still functioning.

Not to say that high protein consumption is optimal for health. I doubt that it is, but again, what is your goal? Optimal health or optimal muscle growth?

What is excess depends on the individual--metabolic processes and energy demands are unique for each person. Mr. Couch Potato is going to need less protein than the guy deadlifting and squatting at maximum intensity once or twice a week.

And of course, optimal amount of protein will differ between trainees--you may only need <1g per pound of bodyweight due to great genetics, I've seen Eastern Europeans and black guys grow like weeds eating crappy diets, they're just built to be massive. However, most of us aren't genetically gifted at building muscle and need much more to encourage our muscles to adapt and grow.

If you are interested in hearing from the real professionals, do a google search for DoggCrapp training (or DC Training), or IronAddict. These guys are on top of their game and all have outstanding success with their clients, having them eat 1.5-2g per pound of bodyweight (and the majority do not supplement with anabolics).

And remember, if you stop progressing in your strength training or weight gain, add more food, preferably protein. You'll be satisifed with the results.

Best,
Dave

Shop TrueProtein.com for high quality protein supplementation at rock bottom prices!

Last edited by SonOfGonad; 08-17-2006 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:53 AM   #16
Apexi

been really busy since im movin out of state tomorrow, ill look around for some sources in a few days when im done movin
Old 08-17-2006, 12:12 PM   #17
SonOfGonad

Cool man--good luck with your move.

-Dave