TUSClan.com Message Board  
Go Back   TUSClan.com Message Board > Off the Wall Topics > Hobbies > Exercise and Fitness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
Octopus

Send a message via AIM to Octopus
You can not vote!
You can not vote!

Gaining Weight

I had to stop running recently due to some bad tendinitis in my right knee and have been trying to lift at the gym 3 times a week since then. I've noticed that I'm a bit thinner than when I was at school and want to bulk up a bit.

I'm only about 145 - 6'1 and would like to bulk up to at least 165 if possible. I've read around a bit looking at a few sites for recommendations. The general consensus is to jump from 3 big meals to 5-6 small-medium sized meals a day spaced out. Now I often have only 2 meals a day so this should be a pretty big adjustment.

One other piece of advice to help out is to consider a protein shake or something similar to use as a meal if it's tough to have a regular meal (it is because of work). Anyone used protein shakes or have any they'd advise or avoid? I've heard of bad side effects (eg gas) but am willing to give them a try.

Also some good lifting regiments would be useful. I've been doing a lot of focus on upper body but would like to hit all the major muscle groups with more of a plan.

Help me gain weight !
Old 09-15-2006, 04:55 PM   #2
jetnet
Administrator

Thanked 2,921 Times in 1,074 Posts
Send a message via AIM to jetnet Send a message via Yahoo to jetnet
Re: Gaining Weight

get married...
jetnet is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to jetnet For This Useful Post:
Nix (09-16-2006)
Old 09-15-2006, 06:01 PM   #3
Evan

I had a difficult time gaining weight for a while and just assumed it was something that my body had a difficult time doing. After doing some reading and tweaking my diet, its been extremely easy for me. About 4 months ago I was 5'9 160 lbs. I am now just under 190 lbs and have seen amazing strength gains to go along with that.

I have been taking creatine for about a month now but gained the majority of my weight prior to starting it. Basically you have to make sure you are eating enough. I know you may be thinking, "I eat EVERYTHING", but you probably are actually eating a lot less than you would think. Start a nutrition diary of the things you are consuming. When you figure out your average daily calorie intake, you then want to add in about 500-1000 extra calories per day.

You mentioned you would consider protein shakes as a meal replacement if it is difficult to have time for a meal. I would suggest eating your 3-4 regular meals and adding 3 shakes to your normal diet in between meals and right after workouts. I found the easiest way to add calories was to add three shakes to my day. In the morning, in addition to breakfast, I have a shake that consists of protein powder, 1 cup of oatmeal, some peanut butter, and some whole milke. I blend all of this together, drink it and move on with my day. Three protein shakes a day is a great way to start gaining some weight. Make sure you are getting plenty of carbs along with it (hence the oatmeal). You need generally between 1-2 grams of protein per pound of body weight a day in order to gain muscle. You should be consuming around 200 grams of protein a day. I was eating everything in sight and not gaining much weight. As soon as I added 3 protein shakes a day, which is around 100 grams of extra protein, I started gaining weight like it was my job.

Make sure you are eating right after you work out. Post workout you want to consume a big meal; go for a carbs to protein ratio of about 2:1 after your workout.

The key factor in weight gaining is consistancy. You have to make a plan and stick with it every day; even when you are not working out.

You mentioned you have been doing primarily upper body. Do NOT ignore legs. Squats and dead lifts are two of the most important exercises. Make sure you're doing plenty of compound exercises (bench press, squats, dead lifts, row) as these promote much more growth compared to isolated exercises. I partially tore a tendon in my left wrist and was unable to do any sort of direct bicep/tricep work this past summer. Regardless of this, by simply doing compound chest, shoulder, back, and leg exercises, I still gained significant size on my biceps.

Last edited by Evan; 09-15-2006 at 06:21 PM.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Evan For This Useful Post:
Octopus (09-16-2006)
Old 09-22-2006, 07:23 AM   #4
SonOfGonad

Send a message via AIM to SonOfGonad

How many days do you want to lift per week? Will you do any cardio still?

I assume you have a fast metabolism coming from a running background. Like Evan stated, remember you're going to have to compensate for a fast metabolism with extra calories.

Let me know how many days you'd like to train and I can put a routine together for you. In the meantime, write me out a typical day of your eating and I can give you a few pointers on food selection.

Best,
Dave

P.S.: If you're looking for a good, quality protein at a low price, I suggest buying from Trueprotein.com. You can save 5% off of your entire order if you use my discount code DDD225. I recommend starting with 10 lbs. of whey protein concentrate which should ship to you for $50-$55. It tastes great with the chocolate flavor.

Shop TrueProtein.com for high quality protein supplementation at rock bottom prices!

Use my discount code DDD225 to get 5% off of your order!
SonOfGonad is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to SonOfGonad For This Useful Post:
Octopus (09-27-2006)
Old 09-22-2006, 09:29 AM   #5
Goatboy

Send a message via ICQ to Goatboy Send a message via AIM to Goatboy Send a message via MSN to Goatboy Send a message via Yahoo to Goatboy

3 meals a day doesn't do much for me. If I wanna gain weight, I start eating 5-6 full meals a day.

Weird part is, if I want to loose a little fat, I still eat 5-6 times a day, but, just either healthier portions or smaller portions, and definatly exercise.

There are all kinds of diets, pills, shakes, powders, pills, etc. out there to help ya loose weight. From what I've discovered, not ONE of them is designed for you personally in mind. Everyone's body and metabolism is different, and it's going to boil down to finding that right combination of what works for you.

I can do the Abs diet by the book, and the most I can do with it is very slowly loose fat. Now, I do gain endurance, but, no muscle gain.

I can do the "Body for Life", and see a little better gain in muscle mass, but, not much in endurance, and I never seemed to loose fat when I did it.

I can say that protein bars just made me gassy, and only contributed to my body fat, although I probably should've been working out twice as much.

Shakes just depleted my wallet.

I say those things for the fact that I've seen people have wonderful gains off those things, but, for me, I've always had to incorporate different things from different diets to finally find that right combination that I felt was really hitting my metabolism.

There are some people who are just naturally adept to gaining muscle. I knew one guy who worked out 3 times a week for less than an hour at a time, with very little cardio, and he was a freakin mass of stout freakin muscle. Within 2 years, he was competing in lifting competitions. I had another friend that worked out religiously, drake shakes, took the protein suppliments, and did everything by the freakin book. He still, after 10 years, weighs close to 140lbs, and is skinny as a toothpick. He's in great shape, and could probably kick most peoples ass, for the fact that he's stout as an ox, and has the endurance of a triathlon athelete. But, he still looks like a pencil. I have an uncle that's close to 70yrs old. He has NO cholestoral problems, no heart problems, and hardly an ounce of fat on him. He's got 6-pack abs, and still ripped like a healthy 40yr old. He's still a very intimidating looking man that could probably pick me off the ground and throw me through a wall. He doesn't exercise above his daily routine of normal yardwork, taking out the trash, and occasionally cleaning a few parking lots to suppliment his retirement. He eats normal healthy meals 3 times a day, and has no medical illnesses. That man will probably carry his own casket by himself at his own funeral. Weird thing is, one of his two sons had a heart attack at the age of 40, and has cholesteral problems of most out-of-shape 60 year old men. Still skinny, and actually worked out and ate healty.

You might find your nitch in a few months, or it might take you years. Unless you're just geneticly prone to gaining muscle mass, and have DNA on your side, prepare for a LOT of work and dedication.

Save a tree... Smack a beaver...
Goatboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 09-27-2006, 04:15 PM   #6
Octopus

Just wanted to give a quick update. I finally got all the stuff I need for the shakes and extra meals. Evan I did keep track of my normal food patterns and it is amazing how little I actually do eat throughout the day even when I'm trying to add an extra meal.

I'm going to go for a shake 3x a day similar to the one that evan suggests.

My goal is to lift 3x a week, I almost always warm up on the bike before lifting and I do some streching as well. I'll probably have at least 1 day of pure cardio whether it be hiking, roller blading or something similar.

An intro weight lifting plan would be awesome dave.

Here's my typical day of eating.

Wake up earlish 7am - Bowl of Cereal + 1% milk.
Drive to work - medium coffee
Lunch 12 noon - Sandwich, Wrap, Cheeseburger or similar meal for lunch Water or soda to drink.
Dinner - 7pm usually chicken w/ pasta or rice, mix of carbs and protein. Usually a vegetable side dish as well.

Sometimes I have an ice cream or chips for a late snack but only about half of nights.

I have a very fast metabolism and high heart rate in workouts. When I was in shape doing running workouts before the injury, I could maintain 400 M repeats with a 170-180 HR resting it down to 140 in 45 sec.

And goatboy, appreciate the post and I'll keep that in mind. Oddly enough I trained for a marathon a year and a half ago. Although I increased my running significantly leading up to the marathon, my apetite increased right with it, my meals were a lot bigger and I ended up gaining 10-15 pounds while burning far more calories than I ever had. If one thing isn't working for me I will try the next or a combination of a few. Thanks for the help so far.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:39 PM   #7
SonOfGonad

Send a message via AIM to SonOfGonad

Simple Routine:

Google videos if you need a visual demonstration of any of the lifts:

Day 1

Back Squat: 3 sets of 10 reps, 3-5 minutes rest between each set
Leg Press: 2 sets of 12-15 reps
Calf Raises: 2-3 sets of 15 reps
Weighted Situps: 3 sets of 12 reps (put the dumbbell on your chest and situp with it, flat or inclined)
Leg raises, weighted or unweighted: 2 sets of 15-20 reps

Day 2

Flat Bench Press: 3 sets of 8 reps
Dumbbell Incline Press: 2 sets of 12 reps
Overhead Dumbbell Press: 2 sets of 10 reps
Lateral Raises: 2 sets of 15 reps
Tricep Pushdowns: 3 sets of 8 reps

Day 3

Deadlift: 3 sets of 6 reps
Pullups or Lat Pulldowns: 2 sets of 10 reps
Dumbbell Rows: 2 sets of 8 reps
Hyperextensions: 2 sets of 20 reps
Dumbbell curls: 2-3 sets of 12 reps

Make sure you keep a log on all the workouts you do and constantly try to add more weight to the bar--this is crucial in order for you to become stronger and bigger. If you don't get all the reps after you increase the weight that you were originally going for, for the next workout, keep the weight the same and try to hit more reps. Once you hit the number of reps you are shooting for, add 5-10 pounds for the next workout and try to hit the predetermined number of reps.

As far as food intake, oats provide a relatively simple-fixing source of carbs, so I suggest that. You can cook your lean meats in a George Foreman pretty quick. Make sure you're getting at least your bodyweight in protein each day--this is also crucial for long-term weight gain. And do this routine for as long as you can until you stop making gains. If you stop making gains on a certain exercise (ie, can't add reps/weight for 2+ weeks), switch to a similar exercise that hits the same muscle group in a different manner. If you can't figure out what exercise to use, let us know and we'll help you.

Make or break for you will be your food intake. You sound like a typical ectomorph--long limbs, skinny, and a fast metabolism. With some good nutritional changes and ass-pounding sessions in the gym, you should notice a nice change in appearance over the next 6-12 months.

Best,
Dave

Shop TrueProtein.com for high quality protein supplementation at rock bottom prices!

Use my discount code DDD225 to get 5% off of your order!
SonOfGonad is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 10-08-2006, 09:40 PM   #8
STRYPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus View Post
I'm only about 145 - 6'1 and would like to bulk up to at least 165 if possible.
wow, thats nothing! i'd be hittin In-N-Out Burger every meal!!!
Old 10-08-2006, 10:32 PM   #9
Octopus

No In n Out Burger out here Although I'll be in Socal for 2 weeks next monday so maybe then....
Old 10-09-2006, 09:36 PM   #10
Holiman

just wait until you get older...i'm 5'11 and thought i would never stray from my college weight of 165...i'm at 184 now 4 years out of college mostly from sitting on my ass at work and grad school all day...enjoy eating everything in sight while you can and don't worry about your weight so much
Holiman is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook