TUSClan.com Message Board  
Go Back   TUSClan.com Message Board > Off the Wall Topics > Hobbies > Exercise and Fitness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2007, 08:13 PM   #1
Greedo LFD

You can not vote!
You can not vote!

Physical Fitness Tests

Today I retook a PFT I had busted 60 days ago due to a strained/pulled hamstring. (honestly, hamstrings I think only exist to get pulled at inopportune times)
The PFT consists of (in this order, and with painfully rigorous form):
-Situps max, 1min
-300m Sprint (3/4 lap)
-Pushups max, untimed but continuous (no rest)
-1.5mi run

5mins between each event.

This is similar to the one I've taken in the Air Force the past 7 years. (In AFSOC we did the Army PFT while "big blue" did the damned bike) Except the sprint after the situps (which already works your quads) smokes you before you hit the 1.5... and also, there's no breaks for getting older like the military gives you.

I worked my ass off to pass this PFT more than I ever have and it feels great to be on the other side. (Once I get a training date I have to do it 3 more times, but this gets me in the door)
Ugh... at 31 I'm not sure what posessed me to get out of a decent career and start over in another line of work, but here I go.

My point? I'm just happy I passed outside the margin so I don't have to retake before I head to Va. Anyone else recently kick their own ass to get in shape for a life-defining event? I found intervals on the track to suck ass, but be very effective for building my legs and pyramid training good to get me in shape for the pushups.

Greedo LFD is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 01-20-2007, 02:46 AM   #2
SWAT_SHAME_Team

Send a message via MSN to SWAT_SHAME_Team Send a message via Yahoo to SWAT_SHAME_Team
Re: Physical Fitness Tests

I've been doing the Elipticle (don't know how to spell it) thing. I ran 10 miles last Tuesday on a up hill run. (That sucked) I move into the last bracket for the APFT 37-42 this month! We got a PT test in Feb. Let you all know the results lol.
SWAT_SHAME_Team is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 01-20-2007, 03:19 AM   #3
Greedo LFD

I didn't do much stairs/hills, which would've helped. As much as they suck, they're great for building legs. Osan had some good ones on the 5mi loop.

Greedo LFD is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 01-20-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
Crazed_Yak

Send a message via MSN to Crazed_Yak

I've been lazy lately... Just getting settled after the PCS and now thinking of working out some. This Joint Service command stuff is strange. I am the only Navy guy in my entire section of over 100 people. They don't really know what to think of my shenanigans and such. I like to have fun at work and they are all the stuffy types afraid to fart because someone higher up might hear it. I say let 'er rip and blame the guy next to you and watch the show.

As for PT... I am really going to start some program, but have not figured out the exacts yet as how I'll do it. Next test is like April - May time frame. I'll probably do what I also do and think and plan until a month before the actual test then start running 3 miles a day until the day of the test. Push ups, sit ups and the sit reach for your toes thing has never been a problem for me. I always do 80 sit ups, 65-70 push ups and the sit reach is easy. Running on the other hand is not my game. I'm more of the sit on the couch and relax kinda guy. I play softball and golf for my exercise. Every now and then I might play volleyball or swim some. I used to swim alot and now it seems like a chore more than fun.

Enough babble from me...
Crazed_Yak is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 11-22-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
B A

I spent the three months before attending a certain selection course doing pt twice a day with SSG Moyer, who used to be on the army wrestling team. The guy was a monster, inhuman to be honest. But at the end of that 3 month period, I was well beyond maxing the 18 year old army pt test, on the extended scale I was scoring something like 380 (max is 300).

Ive never been in that kind of shape in any other time in my life, and I feel it was well worth the effort, it certainly prepared me for what was to come.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:19 PM   #6
PaintballerZell

Send a message via AIM to PaintballerZell Send a message via MSN to PaintballerZell

I've lost 40lbs over the past 10 months or so after my injury. I'm not really stronger (in fact I don't lift weights often) but I can comfortably run 10k, and still want more. I'm going to train for the tokyo marathon after winter is over, until then is going to be weights.

My PFA scores are usually in good-high range because my push ups suffer (I'm tall so it sucks) but my sit ups are always outstanding high and my run is good. However, the Navy PT test is crap.

PaintballerZell is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook