TUSClan.com Message Board  
Go Back   TUSClan.com Message Board > Off the Wall Topics > Hobbies > Movies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2008, 07:08 PM   #1
SnowFart
Administrator

Thanked 1,080 Times in 467 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to SnowFart Send a message via AIM to SnowFart Send a message via MSN to SnowFart Send a message via Yahoo to SnowFart
You can not vote!
You can not vote!

No Country For Old Men

Possible spoilers ahead...

Where should I start on this.....well, first off....if you have not seen it you are missing one of the best damn movies ever made. You really have to think deep in how Chigurh represents death. The man is pure evil....twisted and dark. He (Javier Bardem) gives an amazing performance. His performance is all the more impressive when you know that he has admitted to struggling with his command of the English language. His character has several monologues that are well-timed and full of implicit menace. He gives a terrifying portrayal of a complete psychopath who seems to live in a shadow world of duplicity and violence. This character kills most everyone he comes into contact with sometimes prolonging the moment of sadism by flipping a coin and asking his potential victims to call it. His odd prince valiant hair-cut is a great touch and makes him seem even weirder. Bardem has a fantastic scene in which he taunts Woody Harrelson with the grisly fate he has in store for him. He is so intense in the scene he seems to almost up Woody's game a bit. Tommy Lee Jones gives his usual solid performance. His character is a sort of bewildered older cop who cannot really comprehend the violence he has to contend with anymore. It is strange to see Jones play a character who is wise, but whose wisdom was so hard won that it has worn him down to the nub. He has some good lines, but the overall comportment of the character is one of sad confusion. His morality is so offended by his reality that he retreats into the honorable refuge of retirement. Although, in the last scene we get the feeling that he will be haunted the rest of his days by the horrors his eyes have witnessed again and again. Jones seems to be giving his usual clever/sly performance which subverts your expectations when he becomes sad and meek toward the second half of the film. Josh Brolin is becoming a more interesting actor with age. It is hard to believe that he is the same kid from The Goonies. His character Moss is not a coward or a complete fool. He has a soldier's tactical cunning and is able to think his way out of dangerous situations. However, he makes many bad decisions as well. This will be a frustrating character for the general audience because they will want him to become a hero when instead he proves himself to be all too fallible and human.

This resides on my front porch just outside the front door.
You don't believe me, just try me.
SnowFart is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 02-12-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
SnowFart
Administrator

Thanked 1,080 Times in 467 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to SnowFart Send a message via AIM to SnowFart Send a message via MSN to SnowFart Send a message via Yahoo to SnowFart
Re: No Country For Old Men

Has anyone else seen this movie?

This resides on my front porch just outside the front door.
You don't believe me, just try me.
SnowFart is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 02-12-2008, 04:44 PM   #3
Hybrid-9TN

Send a message via AIM to Hybrid-9TN Send a message via MSN to Hybrid-9TN Send a message via Yahoo to Hybrid-9TN

I couldn't review it better. I got so used to the Coen Bros releasing their dark comedies like Fargo, Big Lebowski, O'Brother Where Art Thou, and Hudsucker Proxy (all hysterically funny) that I was unprepared for this. First time I saw it, I did not like it. I just could not get into it at all. Everyone I know who is into movies told me I was crazy...so I pulled out Miller's Crossing and watched it again and then saw No Country one more time. Wow, was I ever wrong. So intense. A powerhouse of a movie.

It's still not my pick for the best movie of the year though. That distinction for me still belongs to There Will Be Blood. But I would have to rate this either # 2 or 3 for the year.

Movie Reviews at clkbj.com
Hybrid-9TN is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 02-13-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
B A

Oddly enough, I liked Javier Bardem's character in this, more than I liked Tommy Lee Jones' character.

I thought it was an excellent movie.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:39 PM   #5
macintosh

Send a message via AIM to macintosh Send a message via MSN to macintosh Send a message via Yahoo to macintosh

I didn't see it, but my parents left after an hour. They said it was stupid. I don't know.

Quote:
I like a man who grins when he fights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEBOOWORK View Post
Hey, deal with it man...besides, technically, this is a story about two closeted lesbians having a baby, and that shit better end up in someone's signature.
macintosh is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 02-17-2008, 09:53 PM   #6
JelQ_SolidSn@ke

i wish the ending played out in a different way. I wanted jones' character to some how capture him or at least take part in it. Nonetheless, it was a great movie.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #7
Greedo LFD

Fantastic movie...
It's certainly not conventional which turned off your average moviegoer, but I liked how they put it together. Did you notice that there was hardly any musical score?
Good stuff.

Greedo LFD is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 02-18-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
macintosh

Send a message via AIM to macintosh Send a message via MSN to macintosh Send a message via Yahoo to macintosh

I was talking to one of my coaches and he said that he enjoyed it. He explained to me that it isn't an action packer movie or a comedy, which is what my parents like. If they want to think, they read.

Quote:
I like a man who grins when he fights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEBOOWORK View Post
Hey, deal with it man...besides, technically, this is a story about two closeted lesbians having a baby, and that shit better end up in someone's signature.
macintosh is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 02-18-2008, 06:32 PM   #9
FMAN DTF

Send a message via AIM to FMAN DTF Send a message via Yahoo to FMAN DTF

great flickkkkkkkkk

There Will Be Blood was good as well

FMAN DTF is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 12-13-2009, 01:17 AM   #10
kc5deb

Was a great flic until the ending...

Then I wanted to punch the movie in the face...

Eggs & Bacon. A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
kc5deb is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook