TUSClan.com Message Board  
Go Back   TUSClan.com Message Board > Off the Wall Topics > Hobbies > Gun Owners Corner
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
jetnet
Administrator

Thanked 2,921 Times in 1,074 Posts
Send a message via AIM to jetnet Send a message via Yahoo to jetnet
You can not vote!
You can not vote!

So let me ask those of you who know...

We were over at a friends house this weekend watching TV and chatting when Sons of Guns came on. We were watching the one where someone comes in off the street and asks for a silenced Shotgun. They make it for him, and he comes in to pick it up and asks what paperwork they have to fill out and how much. They say he has about an hours worth of work to fill out.

Anyways, that started the question of "Can civilians own silenced weapons?" I said no. So we started looking it up. Well SON OF A BITCH. We can. Just have to do background checks, and some other crap, but other than $200 for the background check, and $200 for the tax stamp, and we are good.

Am I missing something? If not, when can I buy this (The suppressed AR 9mm):

http://www.redjacketfirearms.com/sup...ppressors.html

http://www.eyebleach.us
jetnet is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 03-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
B A

Re: So let me ask those of you who know...

What you are looking at are called NFA items. NFA being National Firearms Act. Which is basicly a taxation system that was put in place back in 1928 as a means of making it harder for your average joe to get his hands on a tommy gun.

Up to this point you could literally go into a hardware store and get a tompson submachine gun, or a B.A.R. or any other automatic weapon you wanted that existed at the time.

The NFA basicly covers the following

1) Machine guns: any weapon that can fire more than 1 round with a single pull of the trigger.
2) Short barrelled rifles, which is any rifle with a barrel shorter than 16 inches.
3) Short barreled shotguns, any shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches or an overall length less than 26 (maybe 24? dont remember) inches.
4) Destructive devices. Any weapon firing a round that explodes on impact, is larger than .50 diameter, or certain shotguns that have no possible sporting purpose (striker 12, USAS12).
5) Suppressors (its not called a silencer jackass, it doesnt silence a god damn thing). Any item that muffles the audible report of a gunshot.
6) AOW's (any other weapon), things that do not readily fall into any of the other categories. Examples: Stinger pen guns, pistols with a forward grip (think semi auto MP5K) a shotgun that was never registered as a normal title2 shotgun and instead was manufactured with no butstock and a short barrel ( lookup serbu super shorty, i love this thing..). Also any weapon that is made to look like something else. Examples: Wallet holsters when they have a gun in them, the deployement briefcase for an hk mp5k, magpul's nifty little converable glock chassis. More stuff, too much to list really.
Brian (03-14-2011), SworD (03-16-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
B A

Oh and the costs:

Anything but AOW: $200 for tax stamp, there is no charge for the background check.
AOW: $5 for the tax stamp, no charge for background check.

If youre considering NFA toys, be advised I highly recommend doing some research into NFA laws and regs, there are things you need to know. Such as you have to notify ATF if you move (or rather if the weapon moves). You have to notify the atf if you take it out of state. You cannot just sell it to your buddy. You have to have positive control of it at all times. You better own a safe... etc etc....
Brian (03-14-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
Brian
Making boiled peanuts

Thanked 1,104 Times in 534 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Brian Send a message via MSN to Brian Send a message via Yahoo to Brian

Is it 200 bucks every time you want to buy #1-5 or is it a one time "thank you very much, that will be $200" charge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobick View Post
I mean, when you are with a woman, doing a bit of heavy pettin' and you put your hands down her pants, and into the panties, I want to know when I hit that border line. That unmistakable sensation of pubic hair through the fingers that lets you know, you are now into a private area, and you wouldn't be there unless she wanted you there. It's like a green light of sorts, when your hand hits hair!
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 03-14-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
B A

every individual item is a seperate 200 bucks or 5 bucks for an aow.

Example:

I have an M16 carbine, with M203 and Supressor attached. This is a 3 tax stamp gun.

1 for the m16 receiver (that is the part that is considered a machine gun because it has an auto sear hole as apposed to an AR15 lower which does not), 1 for the M203 (destructive device), and 1 for the suppressor.

So to break it down for you

say I have 12 machine guns, 4 short barreled rifles, 3 short barreled shotguns, 9 suppressors, a cannon, an m79 and a serbu super shorty...

thats $6205 in tax stamps.

The great part is that, no matter what the item is, its two hundred bucks.

Mac10 200 bucks
m203 200 bucks
M134 200 bucks
m61 vulcan 200 bucks (yes, there are atleast 4 out there in the NFA registry)
155 MM howitzer 200 bucks (yes... those are out there too, no I dont own one, anymore....)

I wont go into what my personal tax total is.... other than to say I remember fondly the days when it was a mere 6k....

Oh one other thing to know, Gun Control Act of 1968 and GCA of 1986. Basicly no new imported non sporting arms in 1968 (machine guns) and no new machine g uns period in 1986. This means what was out there in 86 is it. Supply does not increase, but demand does. Result of this?

M16a1 rifle, army paid something like 300 bucks each, sold at surplus for 50 bucks, today sells for 15k.

M249 SAW, only 8 I know of in the registry, sells for about 100k

M240B, only 3 or 4 in the registry, sells for 200k

M134 minigun, verified provenance movie gun, predator, terminator 2, others. 1.2 million, last time it sold.

Mp5's 15k minimum.

it goes on, you wanna research prices www.subguns.com

everything but machine guns new manufacture is ok.
Rdog (03-15-2011), TREX (03-14-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
Brian
Making boiled peanuts

Send a message via AIM to Brian Send a message via MSN to Brian Send a message via Yahoo to Brian

Wow.. that is way to much money to legally own one. I'd rather just own it and not let anyone know for a 1/4 of the price! Oh wait, I alr.... :-D

Quote:
I mean, when you are with a woman, doing a bit of heavy pettin' and you put your hands down her pants, and into the panties, I want to know when I hit that border line. That unmistakable sensation of pubic hair through the fingers that lets you know, you are now into a private area, and you wouldn't be there unless she wanted you there. It's like a green light of sorts, when your hand hits hair!
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian For This Useful Post:
SkywayTA (05-23-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
jetnet
Administrator

Thanked 2,921 Times in 1,074 Posts
Send a message via AIM to jetnet Send a message via Yahoo to jetnet

Is that $200 / year, or $200 and you are free and clear? Cause you saying that you remember when it was $6k makes me think $200 / year.

http://www.eyebleach.us
jetnet is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 03-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
Brian
Making boiled peanuts

It's 200 and you're free and clear.

Quote:
Old 03-14-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
SnowFart
Administrator

Thanked 1,080 Times in 467 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to SnowFart Send a message via AIM to SnowFart Send a message via MSN to SnowFart Send a message via Yahoo to SnowFart

Yeah, I do civilian fingerprints for the ATF background checks for buyers to purchase silencers, etc.

This resides on my front porch just outside the front door.
You don't believe me, just try me.
SnowFart is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 03-14-2011, 10:01 PM   #10
B A

the tax stamp is paid for once, any time the item is transfered to a new owner, that tax stamp is good for life for that owner.