TUSClan.com Message Board  
Go Back   TUSClan.com Message Board > Off the Wall Topics > Hobbies > Its all about the Cars
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2006, 12:33 AM   #1
Greedo LFD

You can not vote!
You can not vote!

I've always wanted a Wrangler. I've had 2 Cherokees, a Tahoe, and an H3, all of which made sense at the time, and which I got rid of for sound reasons at the time (or had an ex wife fucking roll one). I loved the CHerokees, but they discontinued them, and I can't find one loaded out like I want.
Right now I have a Lincoln LS, which seemed like a good idea, and it's a beaut of a car, but who am I kidding. I need a 4x4 that can haul shit and go where I want to go without having to worry if I'm going to jack it up. A truck ain't quite practical. An SUV fits the bill (It's why they're so damn popular, not because people want to screw the environment. Or... they'd rather have practicality over saving gas/reducing emissions. But whatever.)
My point is:
I think my ultimate vehicle... the one I've been waiting my whole life for, is the 2007 4-door Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

http://www.jeep.com/en/07wranglerunlimited...lery/index.html

They finally got it where I needed it to be. Imagine it with a little lift and 33" tires. Perfect.
Now all the jackasses need to do is put the Bluetech Diesel in it to give it the torque you need (and it would get better gas mileage, but that's secondary to me )

My problem is I need a 4x4 now and they're throwing crazy incentives to push the 06's out. I'm seriously considering getting one of the long wheelbase '06 Rubicons and keeping it a couple years until they put a CRD, or even better, a TurboDiesel in it in 07 or 08.
Either way, the new Wranglers look very nice.

Greedo LFD is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 07-28-2006, 01:56 PM   #2
FMAN DTF

Send a message via AIM to FMAN DTF Send a message via Yahoo to FMAN DTF
looks like an original hummer

FMAN DTF is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 08-30-2006, 04:05 PM   #3
SMURF_Super

Send a message via AIM to SMURF_Super Send a message via MSN to SMURF_Super
Re: 2007 Jeep Wrangler

interesting.

there has always been a jeep vs hummer rivalry thing going on.. and now the newest jeep looks like one.

looks like a nice car though.

the older jeeps are definately still the best. like my '84 CJ-7

only thing is.. ive never had a jeep that hasnt had all sorts of problems..

SMURF_Super is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 09-13-2006, 06:38 PM   #4
Greedo LFD

I love my XJ (Cherokee) still and plan on keeping it. The I-6 in those is about bulletproof.
We're going to go look at one of these 4-door Wranglers this week to see if the wife wants one. Love the idea of a 4-door convertible able to go on the trails!

Old 09-13-2006, 11:19 PM   #5
SMURF_Super

my cherokee is stuck in the shop

they cant figure out whats wrong with it... they know whats happening but cant figure out why. ?

hopefully they can finish tomorrow because it sucks having to find a ride to work/school/everything else.

Old 09-13-2006, 11:49 PM   #6
Greedo LFD

You, my friend, have a GRAND Cherokee. ZJ or WK I think.
Good luck w/ it... still the front end thing?

Old 09-18-2006, 12:39 PM   #7
SMURF_Super

yeah i finally got it fixed. cost me 600 bucks though

they ended up needing to replace the wheel bearing.. then when they got that all taken apart they noticed the axle shaft was all torn up, so they had to replace that too..

oh well.. at least i have a car to drive now.

now hopefully i can find some time to fix my CJ. need to replace the back to axle shafts on it.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:45 PM   #8
Goatboy

Send a message via ICQ to Goatboy Send a message via AIM to Goatboy Send a message via MSN to Goatboy Send a message via Yahoo to Goatboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMURF_Super View Post
the older jeeps are definately still the best. like my '84 CJ-7

only thing is.. ive never had a jeep that hasnt had all sorts of problems..

I admit, the older CJ's have some nastalgia about them that's just sexy. But, the leaf spring suspension just beat the hell outta the less-than-adequate trannys and t-cases, and you always had problems with the drivetrains.

I had a 94 YJ, and I really did like the thing. Only problem was, it was the leaf-spring suspension, and the tranny would keep doggin out, and the t-case kept giving me problems. Plus, it had the shitty vacuum actuated front driveline that would always crap out trying to move the splined sleeve over the front axle connect in the front. Looked good, just wasn't very reliable.

I traded it off on a 98 TJ, and that has been by far the most reliable and most fun vehicle I have EVER owned. It NEVER failed to get me from point A to point B. The only problems it ever had was a squeeky front driveline, and it was replaced under a service bulletin with no charge to me. There were some things about my particular one I didn't like. It didn't have factory A/C, it had the 3.07 gears (it was a dog on the low-end), and it had the Dana 35 axles (weak if you went above a 33" tire... they'd snap like a twig if you got it in a bind).

The TJ's are probably the most reliable and durable vehicle off the showroom floor; only exception might be a Land Rover Defender, which aren't even sold in the US anymore. And if you get the Rubicon package, well, you now have Dana 44 axles front-rear with air lockers front-rear. Plus, the axles are usually running 4.10 gears, so, with a suspension lift (do NOT put a body lift on a vehicle unless you're gay) you could run 35's easily, and still get down the road better than I could with my 98 with 31's.

Those I-6 engines are torque monsters, and bulletproof to boot. I haven't heard of anyone having problems out of that I-6. It'd be rediculous to put anything bigger in them, cause it already has enough power to pull itself through some of the hardest trail conditions out there. Hell, I pulled a 12ft Uhaul trailer from Minnesota to Texas with mine, and although it wasn't the worst best, it did it failry well. I would like to see them put an inline 6 turbo diesel in them, though. It'd keep the mileage up, the torque up in the lower rpm's, and still not shove too much power through the drivetrain.

If I could, I'd buy another Wrangler TJ. Hands down, my favorite SUV.

I haven't driven an Unlimited yet, but, from what I'm hearing, they're even better on trails where you're not doing a lot of rock-crawling or extremely tight turning. Plus, the Unlimited comes standard with a Dana 44 rear axle, even though it's only got the 3.73 rear end.

Save a tree... Smack a beaver...

Last edited by Goatboy; 09-18-2006 at 01:48 PM.
Goatboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 09-18-2006, 11:28 PM   #9
Greedo LFD

Just got a rescue green 07 unlimited for my wife. It's frigging awesome.
Ride and handling is great... stock 32" tires, removable top. The pics don't do it justice until you see one in person. It's maybe 2" longer than my XJ. Can't wait to get it on a trail!

Old 09-19-2006, 01:36 PM   #10
SworD

Sweet..Jeeps really look like they're makin an effort to come back strong. If I wasn't such a Nissan fan, I'd prolly look hard at one but Nissan has just been too good and rock solid to me over the years.
SworD is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook