Go Back   TUSClan.com Message Board > General Public > Spill Your Guts
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2008, 01:10 AM   #1
Sugar Merls

Thanked 1,343 Times in 735 Posts
You can not vote!
You can not vote!

Fitness Question

Not sure if Matt still visits otherwise I would have just sent him a PM. For those of you who are fitness buffs, my question is this: which is better to shed pounds - running 1 really intense mile per day, or 2 moderate miles? I've got about 4-5 months of winter remaining and I really want to get into prime shape. I weigh in at about 210lbs and am 5'8", I'd like to get down to 150lbs then put on some muscle, but for now my primary concern is this extra fat. Right now I run 1 mile a day at an intense rate (which at this point equates to about a 11:45 minute mile - pathetic, I know), plus 200 or so jump ropes. Should I keep up with the intense mile, or slow it down, save my energy, and then run a second mile right after the first instead of burning it all on the first mile?
Old 01-09-2008, 01:46 AM   #2
Dobick

Re: Fitness Question

I know that this is going to come out the wrong way (and keep in mind that it has been years since I have attempted anything even sort of resembling excercise) but if at this point, 11:45/mile equals an intense rate for you, then I would work on first and foremost getting that time down to the 9 minute mark or better. I have always found that the best way to increase my times for a given length run, was to break that run into at least 4 parts and work on an even pace. What I mean is this. If you set a goal of a 9 minute mile, then every quarter mile should be at 2:15. Get a watch and make sure you meet that goal. Start with one quarter mile at that pace, and work on that. Once you get that consistently, then move to a half mile at 4:30. Once you are consistently running the half in 4:30, then stretch in out, and finish up on pace.

The key is to figure out what steps that it takes to get to the goal, and aim for the steps as a goal. After you start hitting a 9 minute mile, then you can continue to press the distance further and further in small increments.

If it is uncomfortable to "run" you might try to time yourself walking a mile as fast as you can walk it. I think that you will be surprised to find that can probably walk faster than you are running at this point. I am not trying to belittle you, but 11:45 seems painfully slow, the key word here being painful. You are probably doing your body more impact harm by attempting to run, when you could be getting a more vigorous workout by walking at first.

My Photo Gallery
Dobick is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 01-09-2008, 02:10 AM   #3
Sugar Merls

If I walked the mile I would probably not even break a sweat. I know sweating through exercise + proper nutrition = weight loss. It's a pretty simple formula, calories in vs. calories out. Right now I've been running at a stead pace for a week, then bumping it up and pushing the time down by 15-45 seconds for that mile, doing that for a week, and then running a little harder the next week. I have a treadmill in my basement, so controlling my pace isn't a problem, since I set the thing to operate at X speed and it does just that (it's a powered one designed for use with running so it's tough). Last week I ran the mile at the #4 setting (I think it goes to 10?), then 4 for half the mile, 4.5 the other half, then I did 5 setting for the whole mile, and today I started going 5 for .85 miles, then bumping it up to 6 for the remaining .15 miles. Setting #7 will accomplish a 9:xx minute mile, so hopefully in about 3-4 weeks I can be running that. It seems I'm already sort of doing what you're suggesting, with pushing a little bit at a time, but as far as the walking thing goes that would pretty much do nothing for me. I need a way more intense work out than that to see results.

I did some looking around and didn't come up with as much as I liked - I came across mostly ads and it was a pain to wade through all of that for any meaningful information. Basically, I'd like you boys here at TUS to come up with a fitness regime for myself that will kill fat over the course of 4-6 months.

Last edited by Sugar Merls; 01-09-2008 at 02:13 AM.
Sugar Merls is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 01-09-2008, 02:32 AM   #4
Hound Force

Running the 2 miles at a slower pace is better for weight loss. This chart makes sense to me:

http://exercise.about.com/cs/cardiow.../aa022601a.htm

Running at a slightly slower pace will cause you to burn a higher percentage of fat calories, and more total calories (since you're doing 2 miles).

Remember that diet is about 80% of the equation. As you say, limit calories, but also limit carbs (especially sugar and other fast burning carbs like processed food) and saturated fats. If you roughly intake 40% protein, 40% carbs (slow burning like yams and whole wheat bread) and 20% fat you'll be doing good. Also, severely limit carbs after 6 pm. Chicken/lean beef and veggies for dinner would be ideal. In my experience it's much easier to be super strict with my diet and exercise for a shorter period of time (months) and see great results, rather than try to half-ass it for a long period of time (many months or a year) with sporadic results. It just gets too easy to slack off. Plus, once you hit your target it's relatively easy to maintain it. Good luck!
Sugar Merls (01-09-2008), SworD (01-15-2008)
Old 01-12-2008, 08:22 AM   #5
FMAN DTF

Send a message via AIM to FMAN DTF Send a message via Yahoo to FMAN DTF

diet is the tough part

im assuming the #6 u are talkin about is speed in mph which equates to 10minute mile pace

i've logged my fair share of time on a treadmill just because i like to train on it, it's probably one of the easiest ways to get into shape w/out thinking, all i do is turn my ipod on and zone out for 30 minutes, i like it cause you don't have to worry about twisting your ankle stepping in a pothole or anything like that

Instead of running for distance you should run for time. What i mean is instead of running just a mile or 2 miles as fast as you can, you should run for 30 total minutes and whatever distance you cover is what you cover. I'd recommend getting a heart rate monitor if your treadmill has one, you will be able to see exactly what your heart rate is at all times or you can wear the watch that comes w/ it...usually i just put the heart rate monitor on and don't wear the watch

I probably posted about my running shenanigans in the exercise forum. One thing I had trouble with was i hurt my knee from tryin to go to 3miles 3x a week to 5miles 3x a week. I stopped running and began using the stationary bike since that didnt aggravate my knee at all but still gave me the cardio. The big thing is to not over do it and hurt your knees, then you have to ride a bike or do eliptical till your knee recovers.

active.com is a great site

I kinda set goals that every 2-3months to try and run a 5k in the community
my first 5k

my progression was like this:

Nov 3rd, 2006 7pm
Ybor Richard's Run for Life 5k
Time: 27:53 (9 Minute Mile Pace)
------------------------------------------------------------
Dec 16th, 2006 8am
Clearwater Say No To Drugs 5k
25:24 (8:11 Minute Mile Pace)

*Injury swap to 3x bike a week for 30 minutes

Feb 17th, 2007 9:30am
Bank of America Gasparilla Distance Classic - 5k
23:36 (7:34 Minute Mile Pace)
Mix of alternating week 1 (Bike run Bike) week 2(Run bike Run)

Nov 2nd 2007 7pm

Richard's Run For Life 5k (Ybor, FL)
23:09 (7:27 Minute Mile Pace)

I'd like to do a 22, 21, 20 and eventually break the 20 minute mark, I have to do some serious training to do that though

The first 2 miles are easy for me to run at 7 minute mile pace, my endurance just falls off for the 3rd, so i'm gonna try to just keep upping the intensity of my workouts by no more than 10% a week, That big gap of no running was due to work =(

FMAN DTF is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FMAN DTF For This Useful Post:
Hound Force (01-12-2008), Sugar Merls (01-12-2008)
Old 01-12-2008, 02:22 PM   #6
Hound Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMAN DTF View Post
i like it cause you don't have to worry about twisting your ankle stepping in a pothole or anything like that

Instead of running for distance you should run for time.

I probably posted about my running shenanigans in the exercise forum. One thing I had trouble with was i hurt my knee from tryin to go to 3miles 3x a week to 5miles 3x a week. I stopped running and began using the stationary bike since that didnt aggravate my knee at all but still gave me the cardio. The big thing is to not over do it and hurt your knees, then you have to ride a bike or do eliptical till your knee recovers.

Honestly, although running is the most convenient way to burn a lot of calories, I can't really recommend it unless you want/need to get better at running (5k/marathon/military test/etc...). A buddy of mine in my squadron jacked up his leg BAD when he stepped off a curb or something. He hasn't been able to fly for like 6 months and was hobbling around on crutches for a while. Like Karl, I develop tendon problems if I run too much. If you are set on running (for whatever reason - perhaps because it burns about the most calories per hour), then I would highly recommend the treadmill even though it's boring (unless you have a TV/iPod or something, and even then it kind of sux). Muscle & Fitness had a blurb about Israeli scientists who implanted shock sensors in subjects bones and found that treadmills only imparted like 50% of the shock that pavement does.

The elliptical is a great no-impact way to burn calories. Remember that diet is BY FAR the biggest part of the equation. Cardio will definitely help, but elliptical vs. running won't be that significant. Personally, I like doing some of each (when I am in cardio mode). Spend 15 minutes on the elliptical which will warm up all of your tendons and joints (make sure to do at least 5-10 minutes of walking before you run if you do it outdoors), then hit the treadmill for another 15-25 minutes. This will help you avoid injury and the variety breaks up the monotony.

I don't know if your post triggered it in my subconscious, but I decided to have my wife and I take a picture of ourselves every morning, weigh ourselves every morning, and record everything we eat. I already lift 4 times per week, and I'll start doing cardio (military fitness test in April) pretty soon. I've found that I have been able to drop 10 lbs in a few weeks without getting too extreme, but my wife has not had the discipline. I thought it would be cool to see our progress after time had passed and so far keeping the food journal definitely forces me to think about every eating decision I make.
FMAN DTF (01-14-2008), Sugar Merls (01-12-2008)
Old 01-12-2008, 02:33 PM   #7
Sugar Merls

I talked with my girlfriend last night about this - I go to work, get home, then run. Lately though, like the past week, something ALWAYS seems to come up. Yesterday was our anniversary so we went out, the day before that my grandfather was leaving so I had to spend time with him before I went to work, and the day before that there was some other BS that came up stopping me from running. I basically just need to get into a habit and not let ANYTHING stop me from running that day because by the time I get done with whatever comes up it's already like 10pm at night and I'm freakin' tired from the day. I hung up on our bedroom wall a pair of shorts that motivates me. They're size 32's (I now wear 36-38 - eak) and my goal is to fit back into them by the time this summer roles around. You guys thinking 4 months is enough time to lose 30-50lbs running for 2 miles a day?
Old 01-12-2008, 10:08 PM   #8
Crazed_Yak

Send a message via MSN to Crazed_Yak

This workout is not for the weak. http://www.crossfit.com The workout of the day will get you into some of the best shape you'll ever get in. The program even includes rest days. Check the website daily for workouts. You may need access to a gym for some of the stuff, but honestly... if you look at the website 1st thing in the AM and post a comment about what would be a good alternative workout due to lack of certain equipment you will be surprised at the number of other folks who will assist.

Great workout and free advice. If you decide you like it... The "Crossfit" gyms are springing up all over the US.
Crazed_Yak is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Crazed_Yak For This Useful Post:
Sugar Merls (01-12-2008)
Old 01-12-2008, 10:11 PM   #9
Sugar Merls

I don't think I'm quite ready for that man..
Old 01-12-2008, 10:35 PM   #10
Hound Force

I've been very consistent with my workout routine for about 6 years now. My Number ONE rule is "Don't Miss." Any questions, just refer to Rule One. At the USAF Academy, when you're a freshman going through all the hazing the correct answer to any 'why' question is "No excuse Sir." Just like the old saying "Excuses are like @$$holes - everyone has one and they all stink." Once you take the mindset that there is No acceptable reason for missing your run/workout then you will become 99% consistent.

As for your goal, it depends on your metabolism and how strict of a diet/workout regimen you undertake. When I was deployed I actually had to force myself to eat more because I was losing more than a pound every other day. I only wanted to lose about 2-3 lbs per week because I was afraid if I lost too much too quickly I would lose muscle mass as well. Of course, I was lifting 2 days on (45 min), 1 off and doing cardio every day (45-60 min). I cleaned up my diet, but nothing crazy - just relatively healthy eating. At different times I've found that I can lose around 2-3 lbs per week pretty consistently without getting too extreme. I weigh around 220-230 (229 currently - shooting for 215 after this diet) just for reference. If you run 2 miles every day (which is very ambitious imo) and keep to a strict diet, then I would think you would almost certainly hit your goal. The 'experts' say that 1 lb a week is a good goal, but if you're bigger than average then I think 2 lbs a week is very reasonable.
FMAN DTF (01-14-2008)