TUSClan.com Message Board  
Go Back   TUSClan.com Message Board > Off the Wall Topics > College/General Education
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2003, 05:11 PM   #1
JackelPDW

You can not vote!
You can not vote!

I am currently considering double majoring in Music and History during a 5 year program at FSU. I was just wondering if anyone had ever done a double major and could explain how they work? I know it's a ton more work, but I was just wondering about how much. I have a 3.4 GPA, 1345 on SAT, and 30 on the ACT.

I was also wondeinrg if anyone here was involved with ROTC, and getting Scholarship money from that?

Also anyone who has been to FSU could just tell me a little bit about the school at FSU

FSU isn't my only college, but it is my main choice.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:55 PM   #2
SonOfGonad

Send a message via AIM to SonOfGonad
When you're in the music program, see if there's a kid playing the Viola in the Strings ensemble. He'll be the one that's about 6'2" and really skinny. His name is Alan and tell him David said hi.

Shop TrueProtein.com for high quality protein supplementation at rock bottom prices!

Use my discount code DDD225 to get 5% off of your order!
SonOfGonad is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 04-28-2003, 07:48 PM   #3
Octopus

Send a message via AIM to Octopus
Jackel if I understand correctly, you aren't at school yet. Trust me when I say this, chances are you will change your major at least once if not twice or more times. I came in as a Finance Major and have added Accounting and Information Systems.

Basically declare whatever is your favorite and figure it out as you go along, each school is unique in terms of their programs. At BC we have 4 different schools, (Arts and Sciences, Education, Nursing, Management) A&S has its own distinct core and Management has another set of core classes. Management Majors have only about 4-6 classes but the amount of core classes you have to take make up for the small number of classes in your major. Arts and Sciences on the other hand has 10 class majors and 6 class minors so it really depends. My advice is to keep as many options open as possible and take a few classes and see what you enjoy the most.

Old 04-28-2003, 08:06 PM   #4
J PaC

Yeah u should go to FSU, and ask them how they do it, or if u can't go there, email them, call them.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:06 PM   #5
JackelPDW

Well I've been in Band for about 8 years, and I practice for about 2 hours daily, so I'm pretty sure that I'm going to do something in music. But I would also like to keep my job options open and get ym history degree, for that is also something I have been involved in for a long while.

Old 04-28-2003, 08:19 PM   #6
bellx1

i double majored in college. i did my microbiology in 3 years, but decided i didnt want to graduate/pursue med school yet so i picked up a religion major. at my school you needed 124 credits for 1 degree, 154 for 2 degrees (30-35 credits for major reqs, avg class is worth 3-4 credits). mine were different pursuits so i didnt have any overlapping stuff, sometimes classes will count towards both majors in which case youd need some more electives.
i always wanted to do micro, and at first considered history or psych but decided history was too many papers, and psych was too analytical and brain numbing for me to push through the intro classes to get to the good stuff.
im sure most schools have something similar as far as requirements.
plus its cool to have 2 pieces of paper on the wall then u can go for more and never leave school like me lol. BS, BA, MS, MD*
Old 11-13-2003, 06:44 PM   #7
SoD Beni

Send a message via AIM to SoD Beni
Usually when you double-major, you pick majors that have a lot of the same classes.

History and music aren't goingto have similiar classes, I wouldn't guess.

A lot of double majors are things like physics and math, math and computer science, math and engineering, engineering and physics, etc. They all share really similar courses like calculus, physics, and upper level math. There are probably only 8 or 12 differnet classes you need to take to double major. They're sience majors, so they have a lot of science and math-based classes.

I'm not sure, but I would say that a lot of liberal arts majors, the kinds of majors history and music are, don't share the same classes, because the majors are so different. I'm not really sure how it would work over here though.

I'm going to double major in computer science and software engineering, because (as CS as my main major) I need 2 classes, which can be taken as electives, to get a SE major, for instance.
SoD Beni is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 11-13-2003, 09:44 PM   #8
FMAN DTF

Send a message via AIM to FMAN DTF Send a message via Yahoo to FMAN DTF
at least you don't want to go to law school, seems like half the schmuck's i meet are like "oh i'm majoring in (insert bullshit major here) and plan on goin to law school...blah blah blah"

music is cool, so is history, i'm guessing you are planning on becoming a Teacher or if you play your cards right, you could get a masters or PhD in one of those and become a Professor at University, that would own...i don't see gobs of money in your future though, unless you win the Florida Lottery...but that's cool too...you don't have to make lots of money after going to school for all these years....

btw, ill have my BS in Finance this May and plan on goin for a MAIB (masters of arts in international business)...its just a one yr thing, 2 semesters at UF 2 overseas...we will see, i am gonna take the GRE's and GMAT soon...if that doesnt fall through ill prolly just get a job somewhere, I don't see a MAIB as a critical piece of paper, but more as a way to screw pooch for another year and travel around the world while the economy hopefully comes out of the shitter...

FMAN DTF is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 03-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #9
run.away

Send a message via ICQ to run.away
Double Majoring

Are they sure sure its double? maybe theres an invisible gravity source in the middle of the way that split the radio wave from one pulsar.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #10
Greedo LFD

Re: Double Majoring ?

OH, you know what, we never even thought of that. I think you're on to something here.

Greedo LFD is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook