Go Back   TUSClan.com Message Board > Computer Help Desk > Computer Help Desk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
SMURF_Super

Send a message via AIM to SMURF_Super Send a message via MSN to SMURF_Super
You can not vote!
You can not vote!

Laptop hard drive issue

I have a Lenovo laptop.. When I bought it a couple years ago I upgraded to the 200 gig hard drive.

Problem is the C: is 29 gb and the D: is 188gb. Windows and all of that are on the C drive which is now full.. There really isn't anything on there besides all the windows stuff... but now I really can't do anything on my laptop. Can't watch youtube videos, can update my phone software, It's just really annoying.

Do I have to wipe everything clean and start over and try to install windows on the D drive? Is there an easier way to resolve this?

I didn't think windows took up THAT much space..

Thanks!

SMURF_Super is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 06-26-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
JOEBOOWORK

Thanked 3,380 Times in 1,505 Posts
Send a message via AIM to JOEBOOWORK Send a message via MSN to JOEBOOWORK Send a message via Yahoo to JOEBOOWORK
Re: Laptop hard drive issue

What is likely filling your system volume (C is your swap file. Relocated that swap file to the other partition (D, and you'll likely be set. The other possibility is that windows updates (which you should NOT remove), are filling up what open space you do have on your system volume.

Ultimately, your system volume will fill up. Be it from updates, or temp/cache data...thus if you are flush in terms of storage space, relocate the swap file (that will help but not solve your problem), after this is done and a reboot is performed run scandisk/defrag/disk clean up (in that order) assuming you are running xp. This will buy you more cache space for apps that dump data to the system drive. Apps like flash, skype etc need tons of storage to run smoothly.

In reality, you probably aren't doin yourself any favors by partitioning the drive, if you do decide to reformat, I'd leave it as a single volume. In particular with xp and any OS preceding it, unless you install EVERY non-windows based app on your storage partition, the issues you are experiencing will become inevitable without pretty regimented cleanup of cache/temp files.

If I can help further PM me, and I'll give ya my digits.