TUSClan.com Message Board  
Go Back   TUSClan.com Message Board > Off the Wall Topics > College/General Education
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2004, 04:10 PM   #1
Untouchable

You can not vote!
You can not vote!

What are some good points to put into a personal statement for a college application?

Especially if your GPA is lower than the minimum requirement.

I currently have the oppurtunity to apply to a college, even with my GPA lower than the minimum requirement. If I write a killer personal statement, than my chances will go up greately for making it into this school. I was emailing the head of admissions and she told me to state why my GPA was lower, and why I will succeed in this school..

I have a general idea on what to type, but someone elses opinions would be appreciated.

Untouchable is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 02-19-2004, 04:30 PM   #2
chaz

Say that you weren't as interested in some of the required areas of study in high school and that you are highly interested in (whatever field your appling for). Then do a little research into it, and throw in some concepts you're particularly interested in (mostly bs) to make them think you're motivated.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:52 PM   #3
Untouchable

Anyone else?
Old 02-19-2004, 08:52 PM   #4
FMAN DTF

Send a message via AIM to FMAN DTF Send a message via Yahoo to FMAN DTF
say your parents owned a kennel and that dogs were always eatin your homework.

that would be about the only excuse i MIGHT accept for someone that doesn't qualify for admittance if i was an admittance officer...and that would only be if you planned on becoming a WRITER or some kind ...hehe

or your parents can make a huge donation...

GLHF

i think it also GREATLY depends on your STANDARDIZED TESTS SCORES...do you have like a 2.0 w/ a 1600 SAT? or is it a 2.0 w/ a 800 SAT...

also...if you got really shitty grades in ONE subject (ie you suck at math or english) MAYBE you could argue that...personally...i wouldn't make excuses about why your GPA is low unless it is something serious like your dad died your sophomore year or something REALLY heavy like that...just state how much you want to go to the school, and make sure you write WHY you want to go there and WHAT contributions you can offer (usually a great time to talk about your HUNDREDS of hours of community service and club involvement)

FMAN DTF is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 02-19-2004, 09:34 PM   #5
Untouchable

GPA is around 3.0

No SAT's, but ACT is 24.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:21 PM   #6
SoD Beni

Send a message via AIM to SoD Beni
Talk about how you take an active interest in learning about things that deal with your perspective major. If it's computer science for instance, say you take great pleasure in being up to date in everything in the computer world and you know a lot about computers (put it more eloquently than that). Say things that let them know you'll be active in the student body, like you love taking part in politics, you love going to discussions, and things like learning about other cultures interest you.
SoD Beni is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 02-19-2004, 11:39 PM   #7
SoD Undertow

Send a message via AIM to SoD Undertow
You are basically selling yourself. Tell them how you will be a benefit to the incoming class. I wouldnt put anything in there that could be considered negative as that is a turnoff. Don't say what chaz said about saying you weren't interested in some subjects. Only state the positives and concentrate on things you actually did well at.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:20 AM   #8
SonOfGonad

Send a message via AIM to SonOfGonad
Quote:
Originally posted by Untouchable@Feb 20 2004, 01:34 AM
GPA is around 3.0

No SAT's, but ACT is 24.
Definately! You're marketing yourself, UT, so visualize and conceptualize "What do these admissions guys want to see in me? How can I market my strengths to succeed in being accepted?"

Here's a few tips: Focus on your strengths, minimize your weaknesses. Do mention them, but be proactive and show some sign of desire to improve those weaknesses. Admissions will be looking for positive characteristics: Leadership, scholastic ability, service to the community, etc... Highlight those important events and instead of listing what happened, list action statements that show how you tackled a specific problem with what you involved and mention how you objectively (and positively) changed the program for the better.

For example, list "Community Shelter: Acted as head soup poorer, improving total food given by 20%." Measureable goals will show just how affective you were!

Also, don't fall into the mold of listing each and every activity you ever participated in. List only those that have significant impact! Choose 2 or 3 activities and explain your involvement indepthly!

Also, consider taking either the SATs or the ACTs again... It would be very wise of you to attempt to improve your scores. Also, give the school a call you're applying to and ask them what special characteristics they are looking at the closest.

And yes! Invest in a book that explains what application techniques get students into top colleges. Even if the book is expensive, the value extracted from it is awesome in the long run!

Good luck!

-Dave

Shop TrueProtein.com for high quality protein supplementation at rock bottom prices!

Use my discount code DDD225 to get 5% off of your order!
SonOfGonad is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook