TUSClan.com Message Board  
Go Back   TUSClan.com Message Board > Off the Wall Topics > Hobbies > Exercise and Fitness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2005, 11:18 AM   #1
Evan

You can not vote!
You can not vote!

So I recently started lifting again about 6 weeks ago. The last time I had lifted was probably over two years ago. Anyway, I'm 5'9 155 lbs. I have a very low body fat percentage and I already look like I am in good shape. If you took a quick glance at me 6 weeks ago you would already think I worked out. My workout consists of chest and triceps day one, biceps and back day 2, and legs day 3. I repeat that twice a week with rest on the seventh day. Occasionaly I end up missing a day which results in a workout consisting of 5 days a week more often than not. What I am concerned about is I tend to reach a plateu for strength rather quickly because of my smaller weight. When I used to lift I maxxed out at about 180 lbs on bench press and could never seem to get over that. I quit after being at that strength for about a month. This time, I don't think I've reached any kind of plateau yet; I currently can bench press 200 lbs after only putting up 170 6 weeks ago.

My immidiate thought is that I probably need to gain about 10 lbs for my body to allow for muscle growth. Since I've been lifting, I have been eating more. I've just been trying to eat more frequently. Lately, in addition to a normal diet, I've been eating a couple of eggs before I go to sleep at night, and a tablespoon of peanut butter somewhere during the day. However, while I have gained strength in the passed 6 weeks, I haven't gained any weight. I was at GNC the other day and noticed they were selling weight gainer 2200 on sale for $15 as opposed to its normal $37 tag. While I have read it is mostly a lot of sugar and a lot of people dont recommend it, I figured I'd give it a try for that small price. They recommend some insane amount to take each day (like 3 scoops. At 3 scoops a day there are only 5 servings in this large container). Anyway, I don't think I want to just shove the 3 scoops of 2200 calories of sugar into my body so I have decided I'll go with probably 3/4 of a scoop per day. Being that I only weigh 155 lbs, I really don't think I need that "recommended amount".

My questions, for people that know about this crap; how much of that weight gainer should I be taking a day? Or better yet, does anyone have a good diet for gaining weight? I have always had a hard time gaining weight because I have a very high metabolism.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 07-03-2005, 11:31 AM   #2
PaintballerZell

Send a message via AIM to PaintballerZell Send a message via MSN to PaintballerZell
You need to eat more calories than your body can use per day.

www.self.com has a calculator (i know its a girls site) that can show you your caloric needs per day.

Gainer is good, but you just gotta make sure you exercise too, NOT just lifting weights, but also doing some cardio to keep the high fat content from going straight to your boobies.

Also, some people just aren't made to get big, it has a lot to do with genetics. So don't expect to start gaining massive amounts of weight.

If you wanna gain lean mass, increase your protien levels, taking the recommend about of gainer should be able 40-50 grams of protien.. two shakes a day, plus
your current diet should be sufficient.

In example, when I started, I went from 197 (naked) to 193 (with exercise clothes on), and right now i'm hovering at 200-205. Just eating lots of protien. However, my frame and genetics just allow me to get bigger, unlike my buddy chris, he can't gain weight or mass no matter how much he eats.

My daily diet:

7:30 Wake up grab 24oz of water, and get a small jog or play some basketball

8:30 Take Protien mix w/ 2 cups, then take Aminos (45g of Protien)

9:30 Eat 7 eggs whites scrambled w/ two yolks (another 35-40 grams of protien)

(I've already got about 80 grams of protien right off the bat in the morning, when your body uses it more)

10-2 Work out at some point in time, starting with weights, then moving on to cardio for a small cool down. (Take more amino's)

Afterwards, I take protien mix w/ 12oz of WATER, so the milk doesn't curdle in my stomach and give me gas. ^^ (35g)

I wait an hour, then eat lunch, usually a turkey sandwhich, no mayo, and some sort of REAL cheese, not cheese product or cheese food, REAL cheese. (20-30 grams of protien)

Chill out till dinner
Dinner, I usually eat whatever I want, because i'm not wanting to cut body fat, but i make sure to get another 20-30 grams of protien, however you don't want to have too many carbohydrates after 7:00, because your body is beginning to slow down and you won't use them, they'll store them into fat. (25g)

Before bed, I have half of a protien shake, and take Aminos. (15g)
Aminos are really important as they are the building blocks of protien. By taking them on an empty stomach before you goto bed, your body will aid in producing and using the protien rather than destryoing it down for food. Makes for a more restful sleep, and more energy when you wake up.

Since I weigh about 200 lbs, they recommend 1-1.5g' or protien per pound of body fat, so you'll have an easier time getting how much you need.

PaintballerZell is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 07-03-2005, 11:40 AM   #3
Evan

I was just reading, and most seem to recommend eating more frequent smaller meals per day (like 5-6 smaller meals). I always thought this was the key to losing weight?
Old 07-03-2005, 11:55 AM   #4
PaintballerZell

Send a message via AIM to PaintballerZell Send a message via MSN to PaintballerZell
Its both.

Every time you drink a gainer, thats just like eating a meal, so if you eat three meals a day, and drink three shakes, that's 6 meals.

However, I'd make sure you only drink one gainer shake, and switch to whey protien shakes for the other, whey protien is more pure and isn't as fattening.

When you eat often, it increases your metabolism, burning fat, that's why you need the protien to be really high.

PaintballerZell is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 07-03-2005, 01:21 PM   #5
SonOfGonad

Send a message via AIM to SonOfGonad
Here's what you should do, it ain't pretty:

Start eating 5-6 meals per day and take in 2 grams of protein per pound of weight. Since you weigh 155, you'll need to take in 310 grams MINIMUM. Divide that by 6 and that gives you roughly 50 grams per meal you need to hit. Then you need to cut your carb intake off 5 hours before bed time.

Whenever anyone plateaus, more than likely its the diet that needs reconfiguring, unless the trainee has been absolutely hammering away for weeks on end, then they need some time off.

It is an absolute MUST that you get all meals in and that you DON'T skip any. Your gains will suffer. My recommendation is to buy lots of chicken, beef, ground turkey, and lots of whey protein and write out a diet. You must follow it like clockwork in order to get big. You'll be stuffed, but you must continue to cram the food down. You'll eventually get used to it.

You have to be eating QUALITY food, not some sugared-up, weight gainer. Any weight you gain off of that will be fat, and we don't want that! Partition out your meals and buy whole foods, and there's a high chance you'll break out of your rut.

Most people begin to stall where your at and NEVER gain any weight after that point. 95% of the time, it's the crappy diet that produces no results. Fix that, then your training, and your gains will take off.

PM me if you want me to help you out further.

-Dave

Shop TrueProtein.com for high quality protein supplementation at rock bottom prices!

Use my discount code DDD225 to get 5% off of your order!
SonOfGonad is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 07-03-2005, 03:27 PM   #6
Jonesy

Quote:
Originally posted by SonOfGonad@Jul 3 2005, 02:21 PM
You have to be eating QUALITY food, not some sugared-up, weight gainer.* Any weight you gain off of that will be fat, and we don't want that!* Partition out your meals and buy whole foods, and there's a high chance you'll break out of your rut.
;209354[/snapback]
Listen to the man, he knows what he's talking about. Try and stay away from fast food as well, as it can hardly be described as quality food. Sandwiches are good, if you can stay away from white bread. You want to eat healthy food with a lot of protein, but that is also lean in fat. (You do need some fat, but not the kind you would get from a Big Mac.) You also don't want to let your carbs dip too low, otherwise it's going to be dipping into your protein.

More than that, I can't say. I ceased body building when I started going to college (no time here!), but that worked well enough for me in High School.
Jonesy is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 07-03-2005, 04:06 PM   #7
STRYPER

how old are you Evan?
Old 07-03-2005, 04:36 PM   #8
Saffron Burrito

eat twinkies
Old 07-03-2005, 06:05 PM   #9
Evan

Old 07-07-2005, 09:52 PM   #10
Evan

Well its now about a week after I weighed 155 and I've basically been consuming tons of protein and am full pretty much all day. I'm now weighing in at 160.