TUSClan.com Message Board  
Go Back   TUSClan.com Message Board > Off the Wall Topics > College/General Education
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2003, 12:28 PM   #1
PapaVodka

You can not vote!
You can not vote!

i was thinking of several majors, and all of them are very different from each other....
im thinking bout going into physics, cause that interests me like crazy, business, cause it makes a ton of money, but then again, every other college student is a business major, cullinary, cause my mom has her own dessert business, and if it does well, i might take over, or pyschology, cause thats also interesting.....WHICH OnE WOULD U PICK!?
Old 10-17-2003, 02:18 PM   #2
jetnet
Administrator

Thanked 2,921 Times in 1,074 Posts
Send a message via AIM to jetnet Send a message via Yahoo to jetnet
Why just pick one? If your going to take over your moms business, ir would be wise to do both cullinary and business, that way you know how to run a business. Trust me, im in that situation right now. If you decide to do physics, why not do that AND pyschology, that way you can not only be a master of all those physical, but MENTAL?!?!?! jk, take your basics, and wait for the answer to come to you.

http://www.eyebleach.us
jetnet is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 10-17-2003, 03:28 PM   #3
Conqueror

Send a message via AIM to Conqueror
Do whatever really interests you/you're good at. You can always change your major and consider doing a double major. I'd take an intro to physics course and see how you like it, because I have a friend who is a Chem major/probably going to add physics to that and I don't see him having much free time in the next four years.
Take an introducation to business course, accounting, all that stuff just so you know how to operate the business.
Conqueror is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 10-17-2003, 03:36 PM   #4
SonOfGonad

Send a message via AIM to SonOfGonad
Enroll into the College of Arts and Sciences at your particular university and take courses you have particular interests in. You'll be able to explore the variety of available subjects and, if like most colleges, you can declare your major by the end of sophomore year. Do what interests you the most... Don't worry about money, you can develop independent wealth without a six-digit job.

Shop TrueProtein.com for high quality protein supplementation at rock bottom prices!

Use my discount code DDD225 to get 5% off of your order!
SonOfGonad is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 10-17-2003, 05:55 PM   #5
Greedo LFD

Physics... Engineering.. ANY science. If that interests you, you should go for it. The US is severely lacking in these areas.

If you want to learn business, get your MBA later on. Business is mostly common sense and a bachelor's in business prepares you to become.... someone who knows how business works, but not about anything a business really does. I was halfway to my business degree before I realized how useless it would be and I switched.

It's easier to become business savvy outside a classroom than it is to become a physicist or engineer.

Greedo LFD is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 10-17-2003, 06:52 PM   #6
TYRANT

I'm taking psychology? you can be a psychiatrist???
TYRANT is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 10-17-2003, 07:50 PM   #7
SoD Ass Woopa

IF i were you Id go into a COnstruction Major ..... I wish i d ahve thought of that before i started my major but in COnstruction there will always be a need for construction ....
Old 10-18-2003, 01:05 AM   #8
Holiman

If you want a 100% sure thing, go business with an emphasis in accounting. Just got back from recruiting for my firm at my old school and there were a TON of other firms there grabbing students left and right. When I attended the same fair as a student, there were 3.

With the new Sarbanes Oxley legislation companies are hiring accounting firms to do more than audit their books. They engage us to find fraud and test their internal controls for weaknesses. After Andersen went down, there was a free for all for all their old clients and the remaining firms, for the most part, now have too much work and too little staff.

Around here (SF Bay Area) paid internships between your junior and senior year start at $25 an hour. New hires start at 50K a year. Not too shabby since you only need a BA!

Spend two years with a top firm (Pricewaterhouse, Deloitte, KPMG, Ernst and Young, Grant Thornton) and doors open left and right for you. If you want to go back to grad school (MBA or Law) it looks great on an application. If you want to slow down and work a 9-5 in the private sector in finance its also an asset to be a former auditor. Check the resumes of top Chief Financial Officers and you will often find prior experience with public accounting firms. If you are really ambitious you can try to stick around the firm long enough to become partner and your take home increases dramatically as profits are distributed to partners on top of their base salary.
Holiman is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 10-18-2003, 01:56 AM   #9
Greedo LFD

The lad should do what he's interested in, not what will make him more money.

When a guy says he's "interested like crazy" in Physics, my advice is go with that. Physics is a fascinating field, and working with some of these dudes that build the stuff that we use to blow shit up efficiently, I envy their physics background because they do stuff that'll make your eyes bleed it's so cool. And there aren't enough of those guys.

If you can do what interests you and what you like, DO IT.

Greedo LFD is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 10-18-2003, 02:14 AM   #10
SonOfGonad

Send a message via AIM to SonOfGonad
Quote:
Originally posted by Holiman@Oct 18 2003, 05:05 AM
If you want a 100% sure thing, go business with an emphasis in accounting. Just got back from recruiting for my firm at my old school and there were a TON of other firms there grabbing students left and right. When I attended the same fair as a student, there were 3.

With the new Sarbanes Oxley legislation companies are hiring accounting firms to do more than audit their books. They engage us to find fraud and test their internal controls for weaknesses. After Andersen went down, there was a free for all for all their old clients and the remaining firms, for the most part, now have too much work and too little staff.

Around here (SF Bay Area) paid internships between your junior and senior year start at $25 an hour. New hires start at 50K a year. Not too shabby since you only need a BA!

Spend two years with a top firm (Pricewaterhouse, Deloitte, KPMG, Ernst and Young, Grant Thornton) and doors open left and right for you. If you want to go back to grad school (MBA or Law) it looks great on an application. If you want to slow down and work a 9-5 in the private sector in finance its also an asset to be a former auditor. Check the resumes of top Chief Financial Officers and you will often find prior experience with public accounting firms. If you are really ambitious you can try to stick around the firm long enough to become partner and your take home increases dramatically as profits are distributed to partners on top of their base salary.
How can you do accounting, Holi? Is the business that intriguing? I know I've only scratched the surface, but I only see accountants counting crap day in and day out. Also, I've heard the horror stories from graduates in accounting... They had to count carcasses in a morgue for inventory!!! So, like what do you accountants do...?

Shop TrueProtein.com for high quality protein supplementation at rock bottom prices!

Use my discount code DDD225 to get 5% off of your order!
SonOfGonad is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook