TUSClan.com Message Board  
Go Back   TUSClan.com Message Board > Off the Wall Topics > College/General Education
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2003, 03:47 PM   #1
Conqueror

Send a message via AIM to Conqueror
You can not vote!
You can not vote!

Just got back from orientation at the University of Maryland: College Park and I'd like to know any recommendations you guys have as far as courses. I realize that very, very few of you have gone to CP (Tow is the only one I think), but general college course experience would be appreciated. Also, I'm currently a Business major (just general for now, but I'm looking into Marketing) with a strong interest in History (planning on double majoring, considering Journalism in addition to History).

First off, English 101 is supposed to be a bitch (my Orientation Advisor (OA) said we should put razor blades beside our beds and put some serious contemplation into using them if we are taking English 101) and I'm exempt from it (so naturally I'm not registered for it yet), but I don't have any experience writing a true research paper (half-assed high school versions only).

Secondly, I scored pretty shitty on my math placement exam (math is not my forte/I hate it with a passion) and am in MATH113 (College Algebra with Applications). I've got to finish two other math courses, Calc 1 and Business Stats (stats sounds pretty easy), so any tips you folks could give me in improving my math skills would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, I need to take 3 math/science courses. 2 can be physical science (I hate anything under this catagory), 2 can be life science (I don't hate any of these...yet, though I have already developed an unatural fear of organic chemistry (instinct maybe)), and 1 can be math/formal reasoning (Calc qualifies for this I believe). One of these classes must include a lab, so I'm looking at Astronomy. I've heard it's pretty easy and I can get the lab credit too, but I've also heard it's pretty hard, any input/experience here would be greatly appreciated. Btw, how is Microeconomics? I have no experience with econ and from what I've heard not much math is required (at the intro levels at least) and I'm taking that class too (req for Business). My classes are:

HIST110 The Ancient World 3 credits
BMGT110 Intro to Business 3 credits
UNIV100 Just an intro to the campus/people/etc., 1 credit
ECON200 Microeconomics 4 credits
MATH113 College Algebra with Applications 3 credits

I'm capped at 16 credits for a semester and currently have 14, but am considering replacing HIST110 with Astronomy to get rid of my physical science lab requirement (though I'll still need one more science/math, I'm not sure if business stats count, but I don't think so).
Thanks for your input/advice.
Conqueror is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 06-15-2003, 09:35 PM   #2
SoD Undertow

Send a message via AIM to SoD Undertow
I definitely recommend skipping english 101 is you are exempt from it. I was exempt and only had to take Junior english. If you are still in the Business school come Junior year you can take Business Writing for that requirement which I felt to be a very helpful class. Taking an econ class this early is also a good idea. I enjoyed econ classes and took alot of them as my electives. Doing a double major marketing/econ is really easy because alot of the requirements overlap. I never took astronomy, but wish that I had. Chemistry is a pain in the ass if you have a hangover and need to be in a lab in the morning mixing chemicals with goggles on. A few times I needed to run to the bathroom to puke my brains out. Physics isnt too bad, I took the physics that was algebra based, no calculus, and it was a breeze.
Old 06-15-2003, 09:59 PM   #3
Apexi

is english 101 the same as english comp?
Apexi is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 06-15-2003, 10:52 PM   #4
Octopus

Send a message via AIM to Octopus
Conq not sure about the MD classes but I checked out their sga site and it had a link to this site http://www.pickaprof.com/ which may help you choose good profs, you have to register for it it looks like, not sure.

Good Luck
Old 06-15-2003, 10:52 PM   #5
SonOfGonad

Send a message via AIM to SonOfGonad
You guys think 18 credits is too much to take during freshman first-semester?

I'm taking Intro to Micro, World History, Intro to Philosophy, and Management as a System (BU begins its management curriculum Freshman year).

I heard astronomy was a bitch, Conq.

Shop TrueProtein.com for high quality protein supplementation at rock bottom prices!

Use my discount code DDD225 to get 5% off of your order!
SonOfGonad is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 06-15-2003, 11:00 PM   #6
Octopus

Send a message via AIM to Octopus
Oh another bit of advice, first don't take 18 credits, especially first semester. You are going to want to have plenty of free time to go out, get involved, develop the social life because if you get bogged down in school work most likely you're going to say f it and go out and that will really mess up your grades early on and hurt you later.

Also along those same lines, I'd reccomend to you to get involved with lots of stuff, I've met my best friends from the organizations i've gotten involved with on campus, not only the people that are involved in the same organization but friends of friends and stuff, they really connect you to a lot of people.

Also for class selection, for 1st semester I'd try to split it with classes you will enjoy and that come easy for you and a couple that will be challenging that way you can breeze by the easy classes with minimal work and really focus on doing well in the hard classes. For my first class I took a computers in management class and first year writing seminar, both breezes and also micro econ which was also really easy. Then I also took Business Stats which was hard but not a lot of work and Philosophy which was a sizable amount of reading and papers to write but all in all not too bad.

Luckily here we have Professor Evaluations, and I must say when registering pick classes by the professor. Here's why, you could read the best class description ever but if the teacher isn't good you won't learn anything and the class will end up being a waste of time. If you get a good teacher in a subject that sounded mediocre, the professor will make it extraordinary and valuable. These are just what I've observed as I've registered and taken classes the last couple years.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:43 AM   #7
SoD Undertow

I second Octo's notion to take 'er easy the first semester. I went in all gung ho with 3 honors classes in chemistry, calculus, and a seminar class along with 2 other classes and got my ass kicked! You need to get settled in and accustomed to school so you know how much work you can handle. And God forbid if you party as much as I did, I had the most fun freshman year and it was worth it, I just shouldve picked my classes to better suit my partying.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:10 PM   #8
SoD Ass Woopa

15 credits First Semester.......

also dont take Eng 101

and Geologoy 101 is the way to go Rocks for Jocks...its easy you'll love it
Old 06-21-2003, 10:13 AM   #9
GOETTERDAEMMERUNG

Quote:
Originally posted by Conqueror@Jun 10 2003, 02:47 PM
Thanks for your input/advice.
first tip of advice: ignore everyones advice. you have a college advisor. talk to him

second tip of advice: if math isnt your thing, dont take more than one sci and/or math a semester. spread them out. youve got time.

third tip of advice: if you only need 3 total, why are you looking at orgo? orgo is a second year chemistry elective. it is actually the easiest course ive ever taken (warning: chem major). there is ZERO math. the whole course is just a test of memorizational skills. thats why pre-meds are forced to take it.

stick to the intro math/sci courses, specifically for "non-majors." **every** college has them. my alma mater offered such rigorous courses as "physics for poets," and "the world of chemistry." even the engineering college had a course called "dinosaurs."

last tip of advice: ignore all my tips except the first one.

-GOETT

GOETTERDAEMMERUNG is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook Share on Facebook
Old 06-21-2003, 09:10 PM   #10
SoD Undertow

My advisor at College Park was worthless Conq. I didnt go see him at all senior year. Before you say fuck it to an advisor you better be damn sure you know what courses fulfill which requirements towards your major. It would suck big time to take a class thinking it got the credits towards whatever requirement only to find out it didnt and you have to stay another semester for one class.